Monday, July 18, 2016

As a follow-up to Jean Dodds vaccination recommendations:

Since I do not take my dogs into heavily wooded areas, they are in our backyard or in open agility fields this is the protocol I follow.

1. I now give only distemper and parvo to puppies and the same at one year of age.

2.  I do not treat for fleas except when travelling.   I have not seen a flea on my dogs since we left Toronto over 15 years ago where we lived in a sandy area.

3. I do not use tick meds since they take 48 hours to kill the ticks.  The damage is done by then.  Removing them is the only viable option.

4.  I test regularly for heartworm, but I do not give heartworm medications even when we are in Florida.  It takes at least a week (research says ten days, but I am being conservative) of temperatures over 70 degrees for a larvae to mature in a mosquito.  Rarely do we have that many hot nights. Once the temperature drops below 70 degrees the larvae dies.